E-file W-2 and W-3 in QuickBooks Desktop
E-filing your Copy A of W-2s and your W-3 to Social Security Administration (SSA) in QuickBooks Desktop is easy and saves you the cost of printing an extra copy. This article outlines the tasks you have to perform to e-file the form in QuickBooks:
You will be able to e-file your Copy A of W-2s and your W-3 to Social Security Administration in QuickBooks Desktop.
You need to perform the following separately:
- Provide your employees Copies B, C, and 2 of Form W-2.
- Print and keep a copy of W-2 Copy D and the Filing Instructions for your records.
See also Print W-2 forms
To e-file in QuickBooks Desktop, you need:
- An active QuickBooks Desktop Enhanced Payroll subscription
- A supported version of QuickBooks Desktop
- An internet connection
- The most recent payroll update
You don't need to enroll with the SSA in order to e-file Forms W-2/W-3.
From top toolbar of QuickBooks Desktop, click Employees > Payroll Center.
Open the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Setup.
Select Federal Form W-2/W-3 from the list of forms and click Edit.
Select E-file and click Finish. This will open the enrollment instructions which you can read and print. Note that you don't need to enroll to SSA to be able to e-file your Copy A of W-2s and your W-3.
Close the View Enrollments window.
At the lower left of the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Setup window, click Finish Later.
You can now e-file your Copy A of W-2 and W-3 moving forward in QuickBooks Desktop.
Choose Employees > Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s > Process Payroll Forms.
Select the W-2 Form from the list of forms:
- In finding the form, use the scroll bar to scroll down the list.
- If you don't see the form in the list, the form may be inactive. To activate the form, click the Forms drop-down arrow, and choose Make a New Form Active. Click the State drop-down arrow and choose Federal. Select the W-2 form, and click Add Form. You should now be able to find and select the W-2 form in the File Forms section.
If you exceed the limit or if you have more than 800 employees, an error will appear in QuickBooks Desktop. See Printing W-2 forms with total payroll in excess of $9,999,999.99 or 800 employees causes error
In the Process W-2s for options, select All Employees or select Employee's Last Name (choose From and To) to file by batch.
In the SELECT FILING PERIOD section, in the Year field, enter the year of the form you are filing and click OK.
In the Select Employees for Form W-2/W-3 window, select the employees you are filing for. You can also click Mark All to select all employees displayed.
Click on the E-File Federal Forms.
Enter the Phone Number and the E-mail address of your company on the login screen. Intuit uses your e-mail address to notify you when your submission is processed by the agency. The Phone Number is included in the electronic transmission to the agency.
Check E-File or E-Pay Status
Payroll tax payment and filing features available in QuickBooks Desktop
For additional information about e-pay requirements, visit the Payroll Tax Support website.
Payroll and Compliance Support Information
Ask the User Community