Set up and pay sick or vacation
QuickBooks Desktop allows you to set up two types of paid time off accruals (vacation and sick pay) that can be used when paying employees.
When you need to pay vacation or sick time, there are multiple steps you will need to take. These are the main steps described below:
- Set up the payroll items
- Add the vacation/sick information to the employee profile (only if you accrue time)
- Set up the vacation/sick defaults (recommended if sick/vacation is the same for all new hires)
- Add the item to a paycheck
To set up the sick and/or vacation payroll item(s):
- From Lists on the top menu bar, choose Payroll Item List.
- Click Payroll Item (bottom left corner) and choose New.
- Select Custom Setup and click Next.
- Select Wage and click Next.
- Select either Annual Salary or Hourly Wages depending on whether you have salaried or hourly employees, and click Next.
- Select Sick Pay or Vacation Pay, and click Next.
- Name the item (e.g., Hourly Sick Pay), and click Next.
- Choose the expense account that you want this item to report to, and click Finish.
To set up or access the sick and vacation defaults (including accuring on sick, vacation and overtime hours):
- Click on Edit on the top menu bar.
- Select Preferences.
- Click Payroll & Employees.
- Click on the Company Preferences tab.
- Click on the Sick & Vacation button.
- You can fill in defaults that will flow to the setup of each new employee.
- Be sure to check the Do not accrue boxes at the bottom if you do not want time accrued when paying sick/vacation/overtime.
To set up and add sick/vacation accruals to an employee profile:
- From the Employee Center, double click the employee name.
- Click Payroll Info.
- Click the Sick/Vacation button.
- In the top half of the Sick and Vacation window, in the Hours available as of mm/dd/yyyy field, enter the number of paid sick hours that are currently available for the employee to use.
Note: This is the hours available as of today regardless of the date field. The date field defaults to the employee's hire date in QuickBooks Desktop. (After you have started paying the employee, the Hours Available as of date will update to the pay period end date of the employee's most recent paycheck.)
- Click the Accural period drop-down menu and choose one of the accrual periods for sick time. There are 3 different ways to accrue sick and vacation in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Beginning of Year: Grant a certain number of hours in the beginning of year.
- Every Paycheck: Accrue certain number of hours per paycheck.
- Every Hour on Paycheck: Accrue hours on every paycheck.
- If the employee accrues sick time on a calendar year, enter January 1.
- If the employee accrues sick time on a different schedule, for example an anniversary year, enter the day that year begins.
To pay an employee for sick or vacation time:
- When creating the check, open the Preview Paycheck window.
- Under Earnings, click on drop-down arrow in the Item Name column.
- Choose the sick or vacation item you created.
- Enter an hourly rate in the Rate column for hourly employees and the number of hours in the Hours column.
- For salaried employees, enter the number of hours worked next to the regular salary earnings item in the Hours column and the number of hours paid for sick/vacation time next to the sick/vacation salary earning item in the Hours column. QuickBooks Desktop will divide the salary rate accordingly once the correct number of hours are entered.
- Continue to create paychecks as normal.