Configure Internet security, personal firewall, and parental control applications for QuickBooks
Internet security, AOL parental controls, firewalls and other third-party programs can prevent QuickBooks from getting updates or functioning properly with you active QuickBooks payroll subscription.
Follow the steps below to configure your internet security, personal firewall and parental control applications to allow QuickBooks updates.
Follow these steps to verify which firewall you are using and ensure that QuickBooks has Internet access.
Add *.quickbooks.com, *.payroll.com and *.quicken.com to trusted web sites.
Verify which firewall applications are installed.
- Expand the system tray on the lower rightmost part of the screen and hover your mouse pointer over the different icons until their titles appear. Most firewall applications can be found here.
- Open the program list and see which firewall applications are listed.
- Windows XP: Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
- Windows Vista: Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features
- Windows 7: Start > Control Panel > Programs
Ensure the following QuickBooks files have both incoming and outgoing Internet access.
- qbw32.exe (default location C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [year])
- qbupdate.exe (location C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate)
- filemanagement.exe (default location C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [year])
- qbcfmonitorservice.exe (default location C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [year])
- qbdbmgr.exe (default location C:\Program Files\Common files\Intuit\QuickBooks [year])
- qbdbmgrn.exe (default location C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [year])
- qbgdsplugin.exe (default location C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [year])
Use these links to learn how to configure some common Internet security and personal firewall applications for QuickBooks access:
For additional information about firewalls and ports see Firewall and Internet security settings for updates and network access.