Quick Search Results

    Not finding your answer?

    View More Results

    Change or adjust amounts on Form W-2

    Article ID: 1000167


    This article explains how to change calculated amounts on employee W-2 forms.

    Expected Outcome

    You will correct the amounts on the Form W-2.


    You have not already provided the W-2 to your employee and they have not filed their personal income tax. If you need to correct a W2 that has already been filed, you must prepare a Form W-2C and your employee must file an amended personal return.


    To adjust amounts on a Form W-2:

    In QuickBooks Desktop, choose Employees > Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s > Process Payroll Forms.

    In the File Forms tab, select Annual Form W-2/W-3 - Wage and Tax Statement/Transmittal and click Create Form.

    In the Select Filing Period section, enter the correct year and click OK.

    Select the W-2 forms you want to adjust, and click Review/Edit.

    Right-click the amount you want to adjust and select Override.

    Change the amount. (The adjusted amount appears in green.)
    Note: If this is not the correct amount, right-click the adjustment and select Cancel Override.

    Repeat step 6 for any additional adjustments.

    Click Next if you have other W-2 forms to adjust.

    When finished, click one of the following, as appropriate: Save and Close, Print for Your Records, or Check for Errors.

    Top Answers


    Most Used Forms

    Find and download individual and federal forms required for your business.

    Payroll Tax Support

    Stay in compliance, ensure you're up to date on all necessary tax agency information from Federal to State agency


    Give employees 24/7 access to payroll information they need.