Direct deposit (DD) FAQ
When should I send payroll?
Click on your paycheck date to see the last day to send payroll.
*Holidays cannot be selected.
This article answers some of the most frequently asked questions about direct deposit (DD) for Intuit Online Payroll and QuickBooks Online Payroll.
How do I enroll in direct deposit?
Can I use direct deposit without federal electronic services?
What type of funding account can I use for direct deposit?
What type of employee accounts can I send direct deposit to?
Does your service support pay cards?
Can I deposit to an employee's money market or money market checking account?
What is the lead time for direct deposit?
What happens if I approve a direct deposit check after the cutoff time?
For example, if you approve a direct deposit payroll at 5:20 pm PT on Wednesday, it will be processed just after 5:00 p.m. PT on Thursday and posted to the employees' accounts on Monday. (This assumes there is no intervening bank holiday.)
How far in advance can I create direct deposit paychecks?
What happens if I create my direct deposit early?
If I run direct deposit on a weekend or holiday, when will it be deposited?
How do I delete a direct deposit paycheck?
- You cannot undo a paycheck deletion. To restore the paycheck, you'd need to recreate it.
- Voiding a direct deposit paycheck or contractor payment does not reverse the money movement of the original transaction. It only adjusts your payroll records for accounting purposes. You generally need to have the employee or contractor reimburse you for the net pay amount.
- There are several items to be aware of when deleting or voiding paychecks in prior periods (that is, in prior quarters for which you've already paid taxes and filed forms):
- It will change your tax liabilities for those periods. You may owe additional, late tax payments that are subject to penalty and interest. You may also need to prepare and file amended forms. (Online Payroll doesn't support preparation of amended forms.)
- If you intend to delete/void paychecks and then re-enter them, you'll generally be blocked from performing the re-entry yourself. Payroll Support would need to do it for you. (The blocking is due to state unemployment insurance (SUI) tax payments. If you pay SUI manually (non-electronically), you may be able to temporarily delete the payments, re-enter the paychecks, and recreate the payments.)
- If you intend to delete/void paychecks for a prior year, you'll need to prepare and file amended annual forms, including federal Forms W-2 and 940. The affected employees would also need to prepare and file corrected versions of Form 1040.
- Click Reports.
- Click Paycheck List.
- Click the check date.
- Click Delete.
- Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
How can I turn off direct deposit for just one check?
- On the Create Paychecks screen, click the Check Details icon to the right of the employee's name.
- Deselect Use direct deposit.
- Enter the employee's paycheck information.
- Click Create.
- The employee's check will not be marked for direct deposit. You'll be asked to enter a check number before printing.
- Click Employees.
- Click the contractor's name.
- To the right of Pay Method, click Direct Deposit.
- In the Payment Method section, select Check, and click Ok.
- Create the contractor's check.
- Repeat steps 1-2.
- To the right of Pay Method, click Check.
- In the Payment Method section, select Direct Deposit, and click Ok. (Do not re-enter the contractor's bank account information since it's already saved in the system.)