Box 1, 3 and 7 of form W-2 have incorrect amounts
When you view your employee's W-2, amounts or wages reported on Boxes 1, 3 and 7 have incorrect amounts.
For information on how amounts are reported on a w-2 and what each box means, see Clickable library of tax forms and click on W-2 form.
You can edit the amounts in boxes 1 and 7 on the W-2.
You have an active QuickBooks Payroll subscription and have updated your payroll tax tables.
Some Tax Tracking choices in the Edit Payroll Item wizard affect box 1 or box 7 (but never boxes 3, 5, or 17). Changing this may change box 1 or box 7. As you select each Tax Tracking type, a short comment will appear to show how different payroll forms will be affected.
If none of the choices is appropriate for your payroll item, but the item does affect the taxable wages in box 1, you must edit the W-2 form.
To edit amounts reported on Form W-2:
When reviewing a W-2, you can change the amount in any of the numbered fields as follows:
- With the W-2 form window opened, double-click the field that needs to be changed.
- Enter an adjustment in the adjustment window.
- To reduce the total, enter a minus sign before the adjustment.
- To increase the amount, enter a positive amount.
- Click OK.
- Click OK or Next on the Employee W-2 to record approval of changes.
To undo an adjustment you entered on W-2 form:
- Double-click the field to get to the adjustment window.
- Delete the description and amount.
- Click OK.
- Click OK or Next on the Employee W-2 to record changes.