Setting up a per diem payroll item
To setup a per diem payroll item in QuickBooks Pro and Premier:
- From Lists on the top menu bar, choose Payroll Item List.
- Click on the Payroll Item button in the left corner, select New.
- Select Custom Setup, click Next.
- Select the Addition, click Next.
- Enter the name of item (such as Per Diem), click Next.
- Assign an expense account, click Next.
- Select the Tax tracking type. Consult an accountant, if unsure how the item should report on federal forms, click Next.
- The default taxes are selected. Click Next.
- Based on quantity, will remain on neither. Click Next.
- Keep the Default Rate and Limit at zero, and enter amounts when paycheck is created. Click Finish.
- If you have Enhanced or Standard Payroll Service, the W-2 and the W-3 can be edited with this information directly.
- If you have Assisted Payroll Service, you will have opportunity to preview your W-2s, toward the end of the year and notify Intuit, if corrections are needed. You will be notified of the dates.