Reinstall, repair, and downgrade Internet Explorer (IE) in Windows 7, Vista and XP
You are able to connect to the Internet.
You can reinstall, repair, or downgrade your version of Internet Explorer using the Windows 7, Vista or XP operating system.
You cannot establish an Internet connection inside QuickBooks even though you may be able to access secured websites outside QuickBooks. Compatibility issues can sometimes cause problems in establishing an Internet connection inside QuickBooks. In other cases, the cause may be damaged files or missing registration information.
Check which version of Internet Explorer you are using:
- Click the Help menu at the top and choose About Internet Explorer.
- Under the Internet Explorer logo, check the first digit of the Version (it should be 6, 7, 8, or 9).
Reset Internet Explorer Setting
- Open an Internet Explorer browser.
- Click Tools on the top menu bar and choose Internet Options.
- Go to the Advanced tab and click Reset or Restore Defaults.
- Click Apply, then click OK.
Reinstall/Downgrade IE version:
- For Windows XP, click the Start button (in Vista, click the Pearl) and go to Control Panel. Go to Add/Remove Programs (for Vista, go to Programs and Features).
- Locate Windows Internet Explorer and click Remove. Wait for the installation wizard to pop up and then follow the onscreen instructions in removing your IE version. Note: If you are using the latest IE version (8), the earlier version of IE will automatically be configured once you uninstall a later version. Most computers will restart immediately, but if you are not prompted to do so, please restart computer.
You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 8 if it is set as not removable. This occurs if you installed Internet Explorer 8 before you installed Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP. If this scenario applies to you, you must uninstall SP3 before you can uninstall Internet Explorer 8. For more information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
950719 You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack.
To repair IE 6 for Windows XP and Windows Vista:
- Click Start and select Run.
- Enter sfc/scannow and press Enter.
- Follow the onscreen instructions in the File Checker Process.
- Restart the computer when the process is complete.
To uninstall and downgrade to a previous version of IE in Windows 7 and Vista:
- Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
- Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
- Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
- Click one of the following:
- Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
- Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).