How to set up a payroll schedule
This article describes how to create a payroll schedule.
Do I have to set up payroll schedules to begin using QuickBooks Desktop?
Pay Schedules make it easier to organize multiple pay frequencies. The Pay Employees window displays the next pay date and pay period for each pay schedule. Pay schedules make it easier to see who needs to be paid, and when.
If you are a Direct Deposit or QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted customer, the Process Payroll On date and Check date are adjusted to include transmit lead times and bank holidays.
What information do I have to gather?
To set up your payroll schedule:
From the QuickBooks Desktop menus at the top, click Employees > Payroll Center.
Click the Pay Employees tab.
Open the New Payroll Schedule window:
- Under Create Paychecks, click the Payroll Schedules drop-down menu.
- Click New.
In the New Payroll Schedule window, enter a name for your payroll schedule.
Enter how often you will pay your employees on this schedule.
Enter your pay period end date.
Enter the date that should appear on paychecks for this pay period.
If you pay your employees either monthly or semimonthly, complete the additional fields. E.g., for Semimonthly:
- Edit the day that should appear on paychecks for the first pay period of the month.
- Edit the day that should appear on paychecks for the second pay period of the month.
When finished, click OK.
Choose whether this schedule should be applied to all employees with the same pay frequency. Select Yes to globally assign this payroll schedule, or Select No.
- By selecting No, you will have to assign the correct payroll schedule to each employee individually.
- Upon selecting Yes, QuickBooks Desktop will inform you how many employees were added to this new payroll schedule.
- Click OK.