How to set up a payroll schedule
This article describes how to create a payroll schedule.
You have an active, up-to-date version of QuickBooks.
A payroll schedule will be created.
Do I have to set up payroll schedules to begin using QuickBooks?
Pay Schedules make it easier to organize multiple pay frequencies. The Pay Employees window displays the next pay date and pay period for each pay schedule. Pay schedules make it easier to see who needs to be paid, and when.
If you are a Direct Deposit or Assisted Payroll customer, the Process Payroll On date and Check date are adjusted to include transmit lead times and bank holidays.
What information do I have to gather?
To set up your payroll schedule in QuickBooks Pro/Premier:
From the menu at the top, click Employees> Payroll Center.
In the Payroll Center, under Pay Employees section, select Set up your payroll schedule.
If you do not see the link:
- Click Related Payroll Activities button> Add or Edit Payroll Schedules.
- At the bottom of the Payroll Schedule List, click the Payroll Schedule button> New.
In the New Payroll Schedule window, enter a name for your payroll schedule.
Enter how often you will pay your employees on this schedule.
Enter your pay period end date.
Enter the date that should appear on paychecks for this pay period.
If you pay your employees either monthly or semimonthly, complete the additional fields. E.g., for Semimonthly:
- Edit the day that should appear on paychecks for the first pay period of the month.
- Edit the day that should appear on paychecks for the second pay period of the month.
When finished, click OK.
Choose whether this schedule should be applied to all employees with the same pay frequency. Select Yes to globally assign this payroll schedule, or Select No.
- By selecting No, you will have to assign the correct payroll schedule to each employee individually.
- Upon selecting Yes, QuickBooks will inform you how many employees were added to this new payroll schedule.
- Click OK.
To set up your payroll schedule QuickBooks Simple Start:
Under Money Out, mouse-over Payroll then click on Go to the Payroll Center.
Towards the top, click on the Related Payroll Activities drop-down button, then select Add or Edit Payroll Schedules.
Follow steps 3 to step 9 above.