Issue a lost paycheck
If your employee has lost their paycheck, or the paycheck is more than 60 or 90 days old (stale date check), and the bank will not cash it, you may need to reissue a paycheck they will be able to cash.
Issuing a replacement check to an employee is a multistep process. First, you need to issue a replacement check with a different check number and give it to the employee. You then need to create a dummy check (not a paycheck) to account for the missing check number, and then void it to balance your check register. These steps are described below.
- Call the employer's bank to put a stop payment on the lost paycheck number.
- Do not void the paycheck.
If the lost paycheck is dated in the current quarter:
Issue a replacement check with a different number.
- From the QuickBooks Desktop menus at the top, click Employees > Employee Center.
- Click the name of the employee for whom you want to print a replacement paycheck.
- Click QuickReports in the top right corner.
- Change the date range to include the date of the paycheck.
- Double-click the paycheck that the employee lost.
- Click to select the Print Later checkbox in the toolbar above the paycheck. (When you select it, the words To Print replace the check number.)
- Click the Print button.
- In the Print Paycheck window, enter a number for the replacement paycheck, click OK.
Account for the missing check number by creating a dummy check.
- From the QuickBooks Desktop menus at the top, click Banking > Write Checks.
- In the Bank Account field, select the bank account you use for payroll, click OK.
- In the Pay to the Order of field, select the name of the employee from the drop-down list.
Note: If you get a warning telling you to use the built-in payroll features, click OK to clear the message, and then continue with this procedure. You are not creating a paycheck at this time; you are creating a dummy check that you will immediately void.
- In the date field, enter the same date used on lost paycheck.
- In the $ field, enter the net amount of the lost paycheck.
- Click to clear the Print Later checkbox in the toolbar above the paycheck.
- In the No. field, enter check number of the lost paycheck.
- On the Expenses tab, click in the Account column, select Payroll Expenses from the drop-down list.
- Click Save & Close.
Void the dummy check and balance your check register.
- From the QuickBooks Desktop menus at the top, click Banking > Use Register.
- Select the bank account you use for payroll, click OK.
- In the register, select the dummy check you just created.
- From the Edit menu, choose Void Check.
- Click Record.
If the lost paycheck is dated in the prior quarter or if the check cannot be cashed due to the date:
If the paycheck is in a previous quarter:
- Modify the lost paycheck in the register with the next available check number (make note of original paycheck number), and click Save and Close.
- From the Write Checks screen, create a check payable to the employee who lost a paycheck.
- NOTE: If the date of original paycheck is beyond what the bank can process (some banks can only process checks that are within 90 days of issued date), enter a current date on the check.
- Enter the net amount of lost paycheck.
- Enter the same check number (the new check number) entered on the modified lost payroll check.
- Click Save & Close.
- Print the check and issue to the employee.
- Change the check number on the Write Check screen to the original paycheck number on the lost paycheck.
- Void the Write Check (do NOT void the original paycheck) in the bank register.