Set up a Section 125 Health Insurance (Cafeteria Plan)
You want to to set up a Section 125 Health Insurance (Cafeteria) plan payroll item.
You have set up a health insurance plan with a provider.
You will have a Section 125 Heath Insurance payroll item.
To set up a Cafeteria Plan Employee payroll item with Custom Setup:
Add a new payroll item.
- QuickBooks Pro and Premier: From the QuickBooks Lists menu, choose Payroll Item List. Click the Payroll Item button at the bottom of the window, and choose New.
- QuickBooks Simple Start: Click on Payroll at the top. Click on Setup and Maintain and choose View/Edit Payroll Item. Click on Add a new payroll item on the left.
Select Custom Setup, and then click Next.
Select Deduction, and then click Next.
Enter a name for your payroll item (for example, 125 Health Insurance Plan), and then click Next.
Enter the name of the plan company or agency, and enter an identifying number (for example, a plan or account number).
Select the liability account where you want to track the deduction until payments are made.
Select Premium Only/125 as the Tax tracking type, and click Next.
Use the default tax setup unless a tax adviser, accountant, or your cafeteria plan administrator has instructed otherwise.
Click Next, and click Next again. (Calculating based on quantity is generally not needed for this item.)
Note: The default tax setup is only valid when you use the Premium Only Plan (POP), under section 125 of the IRS code. This allows an employee to pay for insurance with pre-tax dollars. We recommend checking with your plan administrator or an accountant to be sure you qualify
If most of your employees will have the same deduction rate and annual limit, enter those values. Otherwise, leave the fields blank.
Add the item to each qualified employee record.
- From the Lists menu, choose Employee List.
- Double-click an employee name to open an Edit Employee window.
- From the Change tabs drop-down list, select Payroll and Compensation Info.
In QuickBooks 2013: click the Payroll Info tab.
- In the Additions, Deductions and Company Contributions section:
- Click under Item Name to bring up drop-down list.
- Select the new payroll item(s) for the Section 125 Plan.
- Enter amount that needs to deducted or added on paycheck for each pay period.
- Click OK.
- QuickBooks Pro and Premier: Choose Lists > Payroll Item List. Click the Payroll Item button and select New. Simple Start: Click Payroll to enter the Payroll Center. Click Setup and Maintain > View/Edit Payroll Items. Under Related Activities, select Add Payroll Item.
- Select Custom Setup > Next.
- Select Company Contribution and click Next.
- Name the item and click Next. This name appears on pay stubs and payroll reports.
- Enter the Agency for the employee-paid liability, and the account number, the Liability account, and the Expense account for the payroll item. Click Next.
- Click Tax Tracking Type and select the type required for the correct tax classification. Click Next.
Note: In most cases, the Tax Tracking Type is None. Contact your Health Insurance Administrator to determine the taxability of the item if you are unsure.
- In the Taxes window do not change any of the taxes and click Next.
Note: QuickBooks auto-selects the correct taxes. Do not adjust them.
- In the Calculated Based on Quantity window, select Neither and click Next.
- In Default rate and limit, enter a default rate only if all employees pay the same amount for health insurance. If the item has an upper limit, enter the amount in the bottom box.
- Click Finish.
- Add the item to the appropriate employee profiles and enter an amount for each payroll deduction.
To set up a Cafeteria Plan employee and/or company payroll item with EZ Setup:
From Lists on top menu bar, click Payroll Item List.
Select Payroll Item, and click New.
Select EZ Setup, and click Next.
Select Insurance Benefits, and click Next.
Select the insurance item you want to setup on the list.
Follow the onscreen setup instructions, which prompt you to answer a series of questions based on the item type to create employee and/or company payroll items.
Important HIPAA information: Each healthcare practice is responsible for ensuring compliance with HIPAA and all applicable laws. We encourage healthcare providers to consult with legal counsel regarding their company's individual information practices and how to comply with HIPAA and any other applicable laws.
Cafeteria Section 125 Plans do not appear on any box of the W-2. The IRS does not require this information. Some payroll services will put this on Box 14; Intuit has chosen not to do this.