Change a Direct Deposit paycheck to a regular paycheck
You may wish to create a regular (non-Direct Deposit) paycheck for an employee who is normally paid through Direct Deposit.
The paycheck will be a paper check you will print and give to the employee.
After the direct deposit is converted to a paycheck, you must have check stock and someone to sign the paper check for the employee.
Choose the option that best fits your stage of creating direct deposit payroll:
Remove the direct deposit option while creating the paychecks:
- In the Review and Create Paychecks window while paying employees, click the Open Paycheck Detail button.
- Clear the Use Direct Deposit option.
- Click Save & Close.
Edit Direct Deposit paychecks that have already been created, but not yet transmitted to Intuit:
- In QuickBooks, click Employees on the top menu bar, and select Edit/Void Paychecks.
- Change the date range to the date of the paychecks.
- Double-click on the check.
- Clear the Memo line that states "Direct Deposit."
- Click on the Paycheck Detail button at the bottom.
- In the Review Paycheck window, clear the Use Direct Deposit box.
- Click OK in the Review Paycheck window, and click Save & Close in the Paycheck window to record the change.
- Click twice to clear the small checkbox on the register. This will remove the cleared mark so that the check will show on your reconciliation report.
- If necessary, repeat these steps for each employee.
Stop Direct Deposit for an employee on future paychecks:
Stop a Direct Deposit paycheck that has already been transmitted to the Payroll Service by voiding it. See requirements below.
- Be sure it is before 5 p.m. (Pacific Time) at least 2 business days prior to the paycheck date (after this time, the Direct Deposit paycheck has processed, and you can't stop a direct deposit from crediting the employee's account).
- Void the paycheck.
- Send Payroll Data.
Print a paycheck that has already been transmitted as a Direct Deposit paycheck:
- Go to the register, and open the employee's paycheck.
- Click the Paycheck Detail button.
- Remove the check mark from Use Direct Deposit and then click OK.
- Click Print Later at the top, next to Print icon.
- Click Save & Close.