How to make a Year-to-Date (YTD) adjustment and enter YTD payroll totals
In some circumstances, you may want to enter in prior payroll amounts for your employees. These payroll amounts are typically entered when starting a company file after the first paycheck has been written for your employees and now needs to be recorded into QuickBooks.
In most circumstances, you may need to enter YTD information or Historical Payroll before entering your first paycheck.
You will have YTD entries for your employees.
To enter year-to-date payroll amounts after entering your first paycheck:
From the Help menu, choose About QuickBooks.
Press Ctrl + Alt + Y, or Ctrl + Shift + Y to open the Setup YTD Amount Window.
Click Next and enter the correct Date for: "When should YTD summaries affect accounts?"
Click Next and enter the Date for the Earliest QuickBooks payroll date.
Double-click the employee's name to open the YTD Adjustment window.
Enter the correct amounts, including Employee Taxes and Employer Taxes.
Click on Accounts Affected and select the appropriate option.
- Do not affect accounts: Use this option if your QuickBooks accounts have correct balances. Selecting this option will cause the Year To Date adjustment to not show up in the bank register.
- Affect liability and expense accounts but not the bank account: Use this option if your checking account has the correct balance. Selecting this option will cause the Year To Date adjustment to not show up in the bank register.
- Affect liability, expense, and bank accounts: Use this option if none of the account balances are correct. Selecting this option will cause the Year To Date adjustment to show up in the bank register.
Repeat these for each affected employee.
To enter YTD payroll amounts before entering your first paycheck via the Payroll Setup.
- Go to the Employees menu and click Payroll Setup.
- Before setting up YTD amounts for employees, you must complete Steps 1 through 4 of the Payroll Setup interview, which include setting up your company information, setting up payroll information for your employees, and setting up company taxes.
- Click Year-to-Date Payrolls (Step 5).
- Follow the onscreen instructions, which will guide you step-by-step through the process of entering payroll history.
If you get the error message Paycheck cannot be saved (see image below), make sure the YTD payroll amounts that you are trying to enter have a check date and earnings amount because QuickBooks will not allow you to create a negative paycheck.
For more information about making YTD adjustments, see: