Print W-2 forms
The IRS requires most employers to file Forms W-2 and W-3 at the beginning of each year for the previous tax year. Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) is the multipart end-of-year form that is sent to each employee and submitted to federal, state, and local tax agencies. The form shows an employee's wages and taxes withheld for the year. Form W-3 (Transmittal of Wage and Tax Statements) is a summary of all the W-2 forms you are submitting to the federal government.
Once the current year's W-2 forms are availabe and you finished running payroll for the year you may print and file your W-2 forms. This article explains how to print W-2 forms.
You have W-2 form paper and an active Standard or Enhanced Payroll subscription.
Before printing your W-2 forms from QuickBooks, update your tax table to the latest release.
To print W-2 forms for Standard or Enhanced payroll subscriptions:
Be sure your blank or preprinted W-2 forms are loaded correctly in your printer.
- If you have a continuous-feed printer, you might need to adjust for additional thickness.
- If you have a single sheet printer, do not collate your copies. Load all the Copy A forms, and print those. After you have printed all the Copy A forms, load and print the Copy B forms. Continue until you have printed all the copies you need.
Choose Employees > Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s > Process Payroll Forms. (For Simple Start, click Payroll to go the Payroll Center and then select Process Payroll Forms.)
Select Federal Form and click OK.
In the Select Payroll Form window, select Annual Form W-2/W-3. Next to Process W-2s for, choose All Employees or to select a range, select Employee's Last name and enter the alphabetical range. Under Select Filing Period, enter the year of W-2 forms to produce. Click OK.
In the Select Employees for Form W-2/W-3 window, select the employees whose W-2 forms you want to print by clicking in the checkmark column on the left side of the window (or click Mark All to select all employees displayed).
- If you have not yet reviewed all W-2 forms (as indicated by missing checkmarks in the Reviewed column), click Review/Edit W-2 first. Before QuickBooks can print a W-2 form, it should be reviewed. Once reviewed, click Print for Your Records.
- If you have reviewed your forms, click Print/E-file.
In the Print W-2 and W-3 forms window, select the type of paper you want to print on, the items you like to print and if you would like to provide W-2s online.
When you are ready to print, click Print.
For single sheet printers, load the forms for the next copy and click Print W-2s, again, until you have printed all the copies you need.
To email the W-2 from Adobe Reader, do one of the following:
- Choose File > Send > Page by Email.
- Save as an attachment and add it as an attachment to your email.
For more information on preparing and printing Form W-2, choose Help Index from the QuickBooks Help menu, and then search for W-2.
How to distribute copies of Form W-2:
- Copy A: filed with the Social Security Administration.
- Copy B: given to the employee.
- Copy C: with instructions and Notice to Employee, given to the employee.
- Copy D: keep for your records.
- Copy 1: filed with state and/or local tax departments, if required.
- Copy 2: given to the employee.
How to distribute copies of Form W-3