Print W-2 forms
The IRS requires most employers to file Forms W-2 and W-3 at the beginning of each year for the previous tax year. Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) is the multipart end-of-year form that is sent to each employee and submitted to federal, state, and local tax agencies. The form shows an employee's wages and taxes withheld for the year. Form W-3 (Transmittal of Wage and Tax Statements) is a summary of all the W-2 forms you are submitting to the federal government.
Once the current year's W-2 forms are availabe and you finished running payroll for the year you may print and file your W-2 forms. This article explains how to print W-2 forms.
Before printing your W-2 forms from QuickBooks, update your tax table to the latest release.
To print W-2 forms for Standard or Enhanced payroll subscriptions:
Be sure your blank or preprinted W-2 forms are loaded correctly in your printer.
- If you have a continuous-feed printer, you might need to adjust for additional thickness.
- If you have a single sheet printer, do not collate your copies. Load all the Copy A forms, and print those. After you have printed all the Copy A forms, load and print the Copy B forms. Continue until you have printed all the copies you need.
Choose Employees > Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s > Process Payroll Forms.
Select Federal Form and click OK. (In QuickBooks 2014: Skip to the next step)
Select Annual Form W-2/W-3. (For QuickBooks 2014, click File Form button.) Next to Process W-2s for, choose All Employees or to select a range, select Employee's Last name and enter the alphabetical range. Under Select Filing Period, enter the year of W-2 forms to produce. Click OK.
In the Select Employees for Form W-2/W-3 window, select the employees whose W-2 forms you want to print by clicking in the checkmark column on the left side of the window (or click Mark All to select all employees displayed).
- If you have not yet reviewed all W-2 forms (as indicated by missing checkmarks in the Reviewed column), click Review/Edit W-2 first. Before QuickBooks can print a W-2 form, it should be reviewed. Once reviewed, click Print for Your Records.
- If you have reviewed your forms, click Print/E-file.
In the Print W-2 and W-3 forms window, select the type of paper you want to print on, the items you like to print and if you would like to provide W-2s online.
When you are ready to print, click Print.
For single sheet printers, load the forms for the next copy and click Print W-2s, again, until you have printed all the copies you need.
To email the W-2 from Adobe Reader, do one of the following:
- Choose File > Send > Page by Email.
- Save as an attachment and add it as an attachment to your email.
For more information on preparing and printing Form W-2, choose Help Index from the QuickBooks Help menu, and then search for W-2.
How to distribute copies of Form W-2:
- Copy A: filed with the Social Security Administration.
- Copy B: given to the employee.
- Copy C: with instructions and Notice to Employee, given to the employee.
- Copy D: keep for your records.
- Copy 1: filed with state and/or local tax departments, if required.
- Copy 2: given to the employee.
How to distribute copies of Form W-3