Set up or change Oregon Worker Benefit Fund (OR WBF)
The Oregon Worker Benefit Fund (OR WBF) is an hourly tracked other tax that is different from Oregon Workers Compensation. It is automatically added by payroll, but requires a manual entry of the "worker's assessment rate" for each employee and company rate. This article explains how to set up or change the OR WBF in QuickBooks.
- There are new rates effective April 1st 2013.
- For Agency information click here.
You will set up or change your company and employee rates correctly.
Your company is subject to this surcharge assessment.
In QuickBooks if you need to "set up" or change the OR WBF you set it up as an Other Tax, so you must set up or change the assessment rates for both company and employee.
The rate structure for April 1st, 2013 going forward is:
- Total rate 3.3 cents per hour
- Employer rate if the employer pays half 1.7 cents per hour
- Employee rate if employee pays half 1.6 cents per hour
- For example, if the total liability is shared evenly between the employee and company, then OR - WBF Assessment Emp would be .016 and OR - WBF Assessment Comp would be .017. (Employer is instructed to pay more so that is why that number is higher than the employee rate.)
Although you cannot edit this payroll item from the Payroll Item List, you can add and/or change the rate by editing the employee's payroll and compensation information:
In the Employee Center, double-click on the employee's name. The Edit Employee window opens.
Click the Payroll Info tab.
Click the Taxes button to display the Federal, State and Other tabs.
Click the Other tab and click the OR WBF tax.
Enter the applicable OR WBF tax rates for the employee and company in the OR - WBF Assessment Emp and OR - WBF Assessment Comp fields. To do this, see steps below:
- Click on the OR - WBF Assessment Emp so that it is highlighted.
- The field for Worker's Assessment rate for the employee rate will appear.
- Enter the employee rate.
- Click the WBF Assessment Comp item so that it is highlighted.
- The field for Worker's Assessment rate for the company rate will appear.
- Enter the company rate.
- Click OK to save the rates.
- Click OK on next screen to close out of the Employee Profile and to save your changes.