Verify and Troubleshoot QuickBooks Desktop and Internet Explorer settings
You are having difficulty updating payroll or performing tasks that require:
- Internet Explorer settings to be changed
- Internet Explorer to be repaired
You will be able to connect to the Internet with QuickBooks.
- Your computer can connect to the Internet outside of QuickBooks.
- You are using a supported version of Internet Explorer
- Before troubleshooting, you may want to try the task on another computer to see if it is successful and verify your network (if any) is compatible with QuickBooks.
- Make sure you update to the latest version of Internet Explorer, IE 11, if you are using Internet Explorer 10 or or versions older.
Verify Internet Explorer Settings:
Make Internet Explorer the default browser.
Verify that your computer date and time is correct.
- In the system tray, double-click the time display.
- In the Date and Time Settings window, verify the current date and time and modify, if necessary.
- Click Time Zone and choose the appropriate time zone.
Check the Cipher Strength.
- Press Alt key on your keyboard. This will make the menu bar visible.
- Click on File > Properties.
- Under Connection, look for the number before the phrase "bit encryption".
Update Settings by selecting Tools and then Internet Options.
- Click on Tools and then Internet Options.
- On the General tab, select Delete. Select Temporary Internet files and click Delete. (Note - do not select to delete cookies.)
- On the Connections tab, select LAN settings.
a. Mark the checkbox next to Automatically Detect Settings.
b. Make sure Proxy servers are blank, unless you use one.
Note: You may need to check with your IT administrator.
c. Choose Ok twice.
- On the Advanced tab, go about 3/4 of the way down the list.
a. Make sure both SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 are marked.
b. If marked, please clear the box next to Check for publisher's certificate.
- On the same Advanced tab, scroll down towards the bottom.
a. Make sure TLS 1.2 is not checked. If marked, clear the checkbox.
Troubleshoot in QuickBooks Desktop:
Verify your subscription is active.
Reset the QuickBooks Desktop update.
Verify the payroll service key is accurate.
- Choose Employees and My Payroll Service.
- Select Manage Service Key.
- Click Edit and verify the service key is correct.
- Click Next and Finish. This will get a payroll update.
Restart your computer.
End the Qbwebconnector.exe file in the Task Manager.
- Open Task Manager, by selecting Ctrl+Alt+Delete on the keyboard.
- Click the Processes tab.
- Locate and select Qbwebconnector.exe and click End Process.
If the above steps do not resolve your issue, you may want to: