Set up a vendor and print 1099/1096 forms
This article explains how to set up a vendor (independent contractor) and print 1099/1096 forms in QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise Solutions.
To set up a vendor in QuickBooks:
Turn on the 1099-MISC feature in QuickBooks.
Note: The Print 1099s/1096 option appears only when you activate the 1099 miscellaneous feature in QuickBooks.
To turn on the 1099-MISC feature:
- Choose Edit > Preferences.
- Click Tax: 1099 on the left.
- Click the Company Preference tab.
- Next to Do you file 1099-MISC forms? select Yes.
- Click OK to save the preference.
Set up vendors to receive Form 1099-MISC.
To set up vendors to receive Form 1099-MISC in QuickBooks:
- Choose Vendors > Vendor Center.
- Right click on a vendor's name and then click Edit.
- Click the Address Info tab and validate the data.
- Make sure the Address field contains the appropriate two-letter state abbreviation and the correct postal code.
- If the vendor is a person, the vendor's legal name should appear in the First Name, M.I., and Last Name fields.
- If you know the company name but not the person's name, leave the Company Name field blank to prevent double names from appearing on the 1099-MISC form.
- Click the Additional Info tab. In QuickBooks 2013: select Tax Settings tab.
- Checkmark the Vendor eligible for 1099.
- Enter the vendor's tax identification number in the Tax ID field. Click OK.
- Repeat steps 2 through 6 for each 1099-eligible vendor.
Set up an expense account for vendor payments.
To set up an expense account in QuickBooks:
- Choose Edit > Preferences.
- On the left, select Tax: 1099.
- Click on the Company Preferences tab.
- Next to Do you file 1099-MISC forms? click to select Yes at the top.
- Most Vendors get paid through Box 7: Non-employment Compensation, although you will want to ask a tax professional first before selecting which box to use. Please note: the only supported boxes QuickBooks support are in this list.
- Once the box to be used has been established, in the Account column, click in the field to reveal a drop-down menu. Click the arrow, to select the account you use to pay your subcontractors. If more than one account is used, choose Multiple Accounts, then choose the accounts and press OK.
To print Form 1099 in QuickBooks:
You must be in single-user mode, and must have pre-printed 1099 and 1096 forms to do this. You also have the option to e-file your 1099 forms to the IRS.
In QuickBooks 2011: Go to Vendors > Print 1099s/1096.
In QuickBooks 2012 and higher versions: At Step 6: Choose a filing method of the QuickBooks 1099 Wizard, click Print 1099s.
Select the date range from which the 1099s were paid and click OK.
Select the 1099(s) you want to print and click the Print 1099(s) button.
Click the Preview 1099 button before printing to review and check the alignment.
To align the form:
- Click File on the top menu bar
- Click on Printer Setup.
- From Form Name, cloose 1099s/1096 from the list.
- Click the Align button and adjust alignment as needed.
- Click OK, and then OK again to save your changes.
Select the 1099(s) to print and click Print 1099(s).
- If you have a page-oriented printer, it's simpler to print copies separately than all at once.
- Do not collate your preprinted forms before putting them into the printer. Instead, start by loading all the Copy 1 forms. After you have printed all the Copy 1 forms for each vendor, load and print the Copy 2 forms.
- Copy A (nonperforated) is for the IRS. Copy B (perforated) is for the vendors. Each page prints 2 vendors per page.
- Alignment will ask you to select -1 to bring the print down or +1 to bring the print up. This will lower or raise the print 1/100th of an inch.
Vendor missing from 1099 report
1099 E-File Service: How to sign up and use in QuickBooks
1099 E-File Service general information
IRS Reporting Requirements for Third Party Vendor Payments on 1099-K/1099-MISC
Exclude nonreportable payments from Form 1099-MISC for Quickbooks
QuickBooks 1099 Wizard
Do I need to file a Form 1096?