Set up E-file and E-pay for different payroll forms and liabilities
The process of setting up e-file and e-pay in QuickBooks vary depending on the payroll form you are filing and payroll liability you are paying.
Payroll forms and liabilities:
Federal payments for 940 and 941/944
First time to e-pay 940 and 941/944 for your company: Start by enrolling to EFTPS (Electronic Tax Payment System). This is required by the IRS regardless where or how you e-pay your 940 and 941/944. See more details here: EFTPS Enrollment
Not the first time to e-pay 940 and 941/944: If you have e-payed your 940 and 941/944 before either through the EFTPS website, EFTPS phone system, or through other channels, then you don't have to re-enroll. Simply change the 940 and 941/944 payment method to E-pay in QuickBooks, and you can start e-paying. See detailed steps here: E-pay 940 and 941/944 in QuickBooks
Federal Forms 940, 941 and 944
NOTE: After changing your filing method, QuickBooks will walk you through the IRS e-file program enrollment. The enrollment is required by the IRS regardless where or how you e-file your Federal Forms 940, 941 and 944. If you have been enrolled already and have e-filed your Federal Forms 940, 941 and 944 before, you can skip the enrollment and start e-filing your forms in QuickBooks!
Federal Forms W-2 and W-3
State Taxes and Forms
- Know what filing and payment method is supported in QuickBooks. Find your State in our Quick List of E-file & Pay Availability in QuickBooks to know what method is supported for your State Taxes and/or Form(s).
- Enroll with the State tax agency. Depending on your State, you may be required to enroll to your State Tax Agency. Upon or after your enrollment, you will be given the Login requirements to e-file and/or e-pay your State Form(s). See more details here: State Enrollment for E-file and E-pay
- Change the filing and payment method of your State forms and taxes in QuickBooks.
- For the following State taxes, see datailed steps here: E-file State tax form and e-pay State tax liability together in QuickBooks
- Connecticut Unemployment Insurance
- Florida Unemployment Insurance
- Indiana Withholding
- Mississippi Withholding
- Nebraska Unemployment Insurance
- Ohio Unemployment Insurance
- Utah Unemployment Insurance
- Virginia Unemployment Insurance
- For all other State taxes, see E-file State forms & E-pay State taxes separately in QuickBooks