E-file and E-pay: General Info
With QuickBooks E-File service, you don't need to print and mail your payroll forms. With a few clicks in QuickBooks, you can send your forms electronically to the appropriate agencies.
With QuickBooks E-Pay service, you don't need to print and mail checks to pay your payroll liabilities. With a few clicks in QuickBooks, you can send your payments electronically to the appropriate agencies.
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost?
What are the requirements to E-File and E-Pay?
- Supported version of QuickBooks
- Active Enhanced Payroll Service
- The form is supported for E-File in QuickBooks
- The payroll liability is supported for E-Pay in QuickBooks
- Login credentials required by the receiving agency of the form or liability
What forms and liabilities are supported for E-File and E-Pay in QuickBooks?
- Federal 940 and 941/944 Payments
- Federal Forms 940, 941 and 944
- Federal Forms W-2 and W-3
- Selected State Taxes and Forms
For a complete list, see E-File & E-Pay Availability in QuickBooks
Are my e-payments automatically sent after running payroll in QuickBooks?
Setting up the service
Federal payments for 940 and 941/944
- Enrolling to EFTPS (Electronic Tax Payment System).
NOTE: If you have e-payed your 940 and 941/944 before either through the EFTPS website, EFTPS phone system, or through other channels, you don't have to re-enroll.
- E-Pay in QuickBooks.
Federal Forms 940, 941 and 944
NOTE: After changing your filing method, QuickBooks will walk you through the IRS e-file program enrollment. If you are already enrolled and have e-filed your Federal Forms 940, 941 and 944 before, you can skip the enrollment and start e-filing your forms in QuickBooks!
Federal Forms W-2 and W-3
Supported State Taxes and Forms
- Enroll with the State tax agency. Depending on your State, you may be required to enroll to your State Tax Agency. Upon or after your enrollment, you will be given the Login requirements to e-file and/or e-pay your State Form(s) in QuickBooks. See more details here: State Enrollment for E-file and E-pay
- Change the filing and payment method of your State forms and taxes in QuickBooks.
For the following State taxes, see datailed steps here: E-file State tax form and e-pay State tax liability together in QuickBooks
- Connecticut Unemployment Insurance
- Florida Unemployment Insurance
- Indiana Withholding
- Mississippi Withholding
- Nebraska Unemployment Insurance
- Ohio Unemployment Insurance
- Utah Unemployment Insurance
- Virginia Unemployment Insurance
For all other State taxes, see E-file State forms & E-pay State taxes separately in QuickBooks