Did we answer all your Questions?
Yes  No  Not interested
When downloading a payroll or QuickBooks update, you may receive error 403, which is caused by QuickBooks misinterpreting proxy information.
Error 403 is a status code response the result of the web server being configured to deny access, for some reason, to the requested resource by the client. In other words, you are forbidden to connect to the internet.
This may be caused by several situations including user permissions, firewalls, routers, and company internet policies.
There is not one solution to error 403 due to the fact it may have multiple causes. If the steps below do not resolve the error, review this Microsoft article for information about 403 errors and contact your IT professional or Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools > Internet Options. The Internet Options window will open.
Click the Security tab.
Click the Internet (globe) icon. Ensure the Security level for this zone are at Medium-high.
Click the Content tab. Click through the tabs and determine if any restrictions are placed. Update as needed.
Click the Advanced tab
Under Settings, scroll to locate the Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 options. (You may not find these options in your Internet Explorer version.) Verify Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 are not checked.
Click OK to close the window.
Reboot your computer. When restarted, reopen QuickBooks.
Try to download the update again.
If you have a web proxy set up on your computer, follow the steps below. If you have a gateway or router proxy, consult an IT professional or your computer's manufacturer for assistance.
If you have proxy settings defined in Microsoft Internet Explorer, enter this information in the QuickBooks Internet Connection Setup.
- On your Windows taskbar, click the Start button, then choose Settings, and Control Panel.
- Double-click the Internet Options icon.
- Click the Connections tab, and then click the LAN Settings button.
- From the Proxy server section, write down the Address and Port information. (This may be a series of numbers.)
- Click Cancel.
To enter your proxy settings in QuickBooks:
- From the QuickBooks Help menu, choose Internet Connection Setup.
- Select the profile you want to use, and click Modify.
- Select I have a direct Internet Connection, and click Next.
- In the Tell us about your proxy server window, click Clear All.
- Complete the fields with the information you wrote down in Step 4 above.
- Enter the Address in the first field. (Do not type http:// in the field.)
- Enter the Port information in the Port field to the right.
- Click Next and then Finish.
- Try the update again.
If you determine you do not have a proxy, reset the LAN settings and change your shared download options.
- Reset LAN settings:
- Choose Help > Internet Connections Setup.
- Click Next and then click the Advanced Connection Settings button.
- Click the LAN Settings button.
- Check the Automatically detect setting box.
- Click OK > OK > Done.
- Toggle the Shared Download options.
- Choose Help > Update QuickBooks.
- Click the Options tab.
- Under Automatic Update and Share Download options, select No.
- Click Save.
- Under Automatic Update and Share Download options, select Yes.
- Click Save.
- Download a payroll update.