When downloading a payroll or QuickBooks update, you may receive error 403, which is caused by QuickBooks misinterpreting proxy information.
If you have proxy settings defined in Microsoft Internet Explorer, enter this information in the QuickBooks Internet Connection Setup.
To determine your proxy settings:
1. On your Windows taskbar, click the Start button, then choose Settings, and Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Internet Options icon.
3. Click the Connections tab, and then click the LAN Settings button.
4. From the Proxy server section, write down the Address and Port information. (This may be a series of numbers.)
5. Click Cancel.
To enter your proxy settings in QuickBooks:
1. From the QuickBooks Help menu, choose Internet Connection Setup.
2. Select the profile you want to use, and click Modify.
3. Select I have a direct Internet Connection, and click Next.
4. In the Tell us about your proxy server window, click Clear All.
5. Complete the fields with the information you wrote down in Step 4 above.
a. Enter the Address in the first field. (Do not type http:// in the field.)
b. Enter the Port information in the Port field to the right.
6. Click Next and then Finish.
7. Try the update again.
If you determine you do not have a proxy, reset the LAN settings and change your shared download options.
- Reset LAN settings:
- Choose Help > Internet Connections Setup.
- Click Next and then click the Advanced Connection Settings button.
- Click the LAN Settings button.
- Check the Automatically detect setting box.
- Click OK > OK > Done.
- Toggle the Shared Download options.
- Choose Help > Update QuickBooks.
- Click the Options tab.
- Under Automatic Update and Share Download options, select No.
- Click Save.
- Under Automatic Update and Share Download options, select Yes.
- Click Save.
- Download a payroll update.