Error indicates that a specified file cannot be opened; make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file (Windows error message is "The file exists")
When you are:
- Downloading a payroll update
- Opening federal or state forms
- Paying scheduled liabilitites
You receive one of the following error messages:
- The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file.
- (Windows) The file exists.
This error is usually caused by a file being read incorrectly.
To resolve this problem: Click OK on the error message. If you continue to receive error message, try the following:
- If clicking the OK button moves the install progress bar and you still get the error message, click OK until the update is 100% complete.
- Close and reopen QuickBooks.
- Make sure your QuickBooks has the latest product updates downloaded and installed.
- Close QuickBooks and restart your computer. Reopen QuickBooks as the Administrator.
If the problem persists:
- Close QuickBooks and all other applications.
- Restart the computer.
- Open QuickBooks and download the Payroll update again.
- Click the Windows icon button (Start), and choose Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click User Accounts or User Accounts and Family Safety.
- In the User Account window, click User Accounts.
- Click the link Turn User Account Control on and off.
- If the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer checkbox is selected, clear it, and click OK.
- If you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart Now.
- Repeat Steps 1 through 6, making sure that the checkbox Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer is cleared.
Windows Vista users might need to right-click the QuickBooks shortcut, and then choose Run as Administrator.
Windows 7 & 8:
- Access the Control Panel:
- Windows 7: Click the Windows button and then click Control Panel.
- Windows 8: From the Start menu open Search. Type Control Panel. When located, click the Control Panel app to open.
- In the search box, enter UAC, and then click Change User Account Control settings.
- Do one of the following:
- Turn off UAC: Move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, enter the password or provide confirmation. You need to restart your computer for to turn off UAC.
- Turn on UAC: Move the slider to choose when you want to be notified, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, enter the password or provide confirmation.
Aditional steps that may resolve the error: