Error 12XXX when getting updates
When downloading a payroll or QuickBooks update, you receive one of the following error messages:
- Error 12002
- Error 12007
- Error 12009
- Error 12029
- Error 12031
These errors are caused by QuickBooks not being able to utilize your Internet connection on your computer. The primary reason QuickBooks cannot recognize an Internet connection is that applications installed on the computer interfere with the QuickBooks download, such as antivirus protection agents, firewalls, and so on.
These errors can also be caused by general Internet connection failures. Internet Explorer might not be the default browser or the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) checkbox might be cleared in Internet Explorer Options.
To resolve this error:
Verify that you can access a secure website outside of QuickBooks, such as the sign-in page of your financial institution. If you are unable to access a secure website outside of QuickBooks, consult a computer or IT expert.
Check the SSL setting.
Verify that Internet Explorer is the default browser, and if you are using any other web browser as your default.
Review the Internet Explorer settings.
- Close QuickBooks.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click Tools > Internet Options.
- Select the Security tab and click on the Globe icon (globe icon in the window at the top) insure that security setting for this zone are no higher then Medium High.
- Select the Content tab and make sure that the button for content advisor says Enable. If the button says Disable then click the button and enter the password and disable content advisor.
- Select the Connections tab.
- If you do not use the dial-up node (DUN) on the system, select Never Dial a Connection.
- If they use the dial-up node (DUN), make sure that the correct ISP is selected. Click OK.
- Click the LAN SETTINGS button at the bottom of the tab. Insure that the checkbox for automatically detect settings is checked.
- Verify that Use a Proxy Server checkbox is clear. When there is a checkmark in Use a proxy server, document the complete address and port. If the port is other then port 80, DO NOT UNCHECK use a proxy. If the port is port 80 you can uncheck the use a proxy box for testing purposes.
- Click OK on the LAN settings screen.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Click the Restore Advanced Settings button.
- Under Settings, scroll to locate the Use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 options. (You may not find these options in your Internet Explorer version.)
- Verify Use TLS 1.0 is checked.
- Verify Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 are not checked.
- Click OK to close the Internet Options window.
- Close Internet Explorer.
- Restart your computer.
- Open QuickBooks and try to update again.
Configure Internet security, personal firewall, and parental control applications for QuickBooks updates, tax table updates, sending payroll data, and Windows firewall. You might need to reconfigure your firewall to allow access to certain ports.
If the preceding steps did not resolve the issue, start Microsoft Windows in safe mode with networking and try downloading the update again.
After restarting your computer, reset the QuickBooks updates and attempt to download and install the QuickBooks update. Ensure that the company file is in single-user mode.
Repair Internet Explorer.
Perform a clean install of QuickBooks in Selective Startup.