Enter or edit your payroll service key/disk delivery key
When you purchase QuickBooks Payroll, you are assigned a 16-digit service key that is specific your EIN and payroll service. You must enter this servivce key into QuickBooks to activate the payroll service in your QuickBooks file.
You will activate or edit your payroll service key.
You have an active payroll subscription.
Obtain your service key. It usually comes by e-mail.
The automated tool may not work if:
- There are multiple payroll orders in our system for your company.
- You purchased your payroll product from a retail store.
- Business phone number you provided did not match what Intuit has on file.
Open the QuickBooks Service Keys window. To open this window:
Choose Employees > Payroll > Enter Payroll Service Key.
If you do have payroll service in your company file:
Choose Employees > My Payroll Service > Manage Payroll Service Key.
Click Add to enter your new service key.
- If a payroll service is already listed in the QuickBooks Service Keys window, click Edit.
- If you are using the disk delivery service:
- Click Edit, and take note of the service key.
- Remove the service key.
- Click Add, and continue with the steps below.
Enter your service key in the Service Key field.
- If you have the disk delivery service, you will also need to enter the latest disk delivery key that you received.
Click Next and then Finish.
When the Payroll Update message appears, click OK.
Verify the Service Status shows ACTIVE and then click OK twice.
Restart QuickBooks. Now you are ready to start setting up payroll in QuickBooks!