Change the bank account for e-payment of tax liabilities
If you change banks, you might need to change the account in QuickBooks that is used to e-pay liabilities. This article explains how to do that.
You will change the bank account you use for e-payments of your tax liabilities.
You must set up your new bank account in QuickBooks.
To change bank account for e-payment:
Change it on the EFTPS.gov web site. For state payments you must notify any state agencies receiving e-payments of the bank account change.
Change the E-pay account in QuickBooks and disable the old bank account.
- Choose Employees > Payroll Center.
- In QuickBooks 2013 and earlier: Click Related Payment Activities > Edit Due Dates/Methods.
For QuickBooks 2014: In the Payroll Center, go to the Pay Liabilities tab. From the Other Activities list at the bottom, select Change Payment Method.
- Click Continue.
- Select the Bank Account you want to use and click Edit.
- Enter the Account Number and Routing Number and click Finish.
Note: Routing numbers are ALWAYS nine digits. Enter the account number exactly as it appears, including leading zeros, dashes, and spaces. For some business accounts, the routing number is different from the number on the check; Intuit recommends you verify your routing and account number with your bank.
- Select the Bank Account you do not want to use and click Edit.
- Ensure the Account Number and Routing Number fields are blank and click Finish.
- Click Finish Later.
Change the PIN that is saved in QuickBooks to the new one.
To change the PIN in QuickBooks:
- Click Employees menu> Payroll Center.
- In QuickBooks 2013 and earlier: Place a checkmark next to the liability to E-pay in the Pay Scheduled Liabilities section.
In QuickBooks 2014: In the Payroll Center, go to the Pay Liabilities tab. Select a liability to E-pay in Pay Taxes & Other Liabilities.
- Click the View/Pay button, and then click the E-pay button.
- Clear the Remember my information for next time box, and update your login information as necessary.
- Select the Remember my information for next time box again to save the new information.
- Click Submit.
Set the new bank account as the default for payroll in QuickBooks.
- Choose Edit > Preferences.
- From the column on the left, click Checking.
- Select the Company Preferences tab.
- Click to select the Open the Create Paycheck checkbox and select the bank account; and/or click to select the Open the Pay Liabilities checkbox and select the bank account.
- Click OK.