Error PS036: Cannot verify payroll subscription
When updating your payroll to the latest tax table, the following error message appears:
PS036 There is a problem verifying your payroll subscription.
You have an active payroll subscription.
You will be able to download the latest payroll updates.
Reasons why this error can occur:
- Inactive payroll subscription
- More than one active payroll agreement with an inactive Direct Deposit agreement
- Damaged QuickBooks file: paysub.ini
- Data damage
- Product not updated
- Incorrect Service Key
- Incorrect Employer Identification Number (EIN) in the company file
- Incorrect PSID in the company file
- The version of QuickBooks you are using does not support your version of Windows
- The status of the payroll subscription in the QuickBooks Service Keys screen appears as "Invalid number or EIN"
To verify your payroll subscription:
Open QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance, and then close the page.
Reboot your computer.
Download the payroll update, again.
If these steps do not correct this issue, follow these steps:
Close QuickBooks and Rename paysub.ini.
Important: Repeat for all paysub.ini files found. The system does not permit the same name twice. You can add a number or extra letter for every paysub file found.
Open QuickBooks, and then remove the payroll service key.
Enter the service key again in QuickBooks.
After removal, reenter the payroll service key. It validates your payroll service online.
It validates your payroll service online and should resolve the error. If otherwise, perform a clean install of QuickBooks in Selective Startup.