Fast, Accurate & Affordable
- Instant paychecks & tax calculations
- Free live US-based support from experts
- Works with or without QuickBooks
Intuit Basic Payroll
+ $2.00/mo. per employee
Let us be your partner in growing your business.
1. Pay employees easily
Just enter the hours and automatically get instant paychecks. You can print the checks yourself—or use FREE direct deposit. It's that easy!
2. Work with your accountant on taxes
Create reports for your accountant for tax filings. Basic includes tax calculations but doesn't include tax forms — choose Enhanced Payroll for that.
Basic Payroll Features
How it works
Click on the tabs below to view our Online or QuickBook desktop versions.
Basic Online Payroll
(Does not require QuickBooks)
Payroll Anywhere, Anytime (01:07)
Basic Payroll in QuickBooks
What our customers are saying
Ginny C | Dec 10, 2013
Basic Payroll for Small Business
Sherri Brooks | Dec 09, 2013
Kendall W | Dec 06, 2013
TOM K | Dec 06, 2013
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What do I need to be able to use Basic Payroll?
A: You'll need Internet access so Basic Payroll Basic can download the latest payroll tax rates for your automatic paycheck calculations.
Also, the federal government requires every person or company paying wages to have an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Employers must include it on all federal forms and returns. You can apply for an EIN and get it immediately at the IRS Web site at http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Apply-for-an-Employer-Identification-Number-(EIN)-Online
If you choose to buy Basic Payroll in QuickBooks, you will also need to have QuickBooks Pro or Premier 2011 or newer. If you choose to buy Online Basic Payroll, QuickBooks is not required.
Q: Can I switch to Basic Payroll mid-year?
A: Yes. But, if you've already paid employees this year, you'll need to enter your year-to-date payroll history, so our calculations are correct. Our step-by step guide can help you.
If you're paying employees for the first time this year, there's no payroll history to enter. So, it’s easy to get started.
Q: Does Basic Payroll handle both hourly and salaried employees?
Q: What about bonuses, commissions, and overtime?
A: Basic Payroll handles all of these, plus other many other wage types.
Q: How do I pay my employees?
A: Just enter employees' hours, and Basic Payroll will calculate paychecks, subtracting payroll taxes and deductions.
Then print paychecks instantly or use our convenient Direct Deposit.
You can also pay groups of employees on different days. For example, you may pay salaried employees monthly, while paying hourly employees every two weeks.
Q: Can I pay employees using direct deposit?
A: You can deposit pay into U.S. bank accounts with Intuit's Direct Deposit. You can also deposit pay to Intuit Pay Cards (ATM/debit cards that don't require bank accounts).
With our flexible Direct Deposit, you can add or remove an employee, or edit their banking information, anytime. You can also choose to pay some employees by direct deposit and others by check.
You must send Direct Deposit transactions to us by 5pm (Pacific Time) two business banking days before the paycheck date. You can deposit paychecks into up to two different accounts per employee.
By using Direct Deposit, you no longer need to print pay stubs, since employees can view their paystubs online.
Q: How much does Direct Deposit cost?
A: Direct Deposit is free with your subscription to Basic Payroll. By using Direct Deposit, you no longer need to print pay stubs, since employees can view their paystubs online.
Q: How does Basic Payroll help me with payroll taxes?
A: Basic Payroll tracks federal and state payroll taxes for paycheck calculations only. However, Basic Payroll does not include any tax forms (choose Enhanced Payroll for this feature). With Basic Payroll, you can generate reports and work with your accountant on taxes.
Q: Which benefits and deductions does Basic Payroll handle?
A: Basic Payroll tracks vacation time, sick time, paid time off, medical and dental insurance, 401(k) and other retirement plans, cash advances, and more. You can choose different deductions for different employees.
Q: How is my data protected?
A: On paydays, all online transactions are protected using the same kind of encryption used by leading banks.
Q: How do I share data with my accountant?
A: You can e-mail reports and your company files to your accountant.
- After your Intuit Payroll 30 day free trial, you will automatically be charged 20% off the current rate for the first 12 months. After 12 months, you will automatically be charged at the then current rate for the service you have selected, until you cancel. Each employee you pay is an additional $2.00/month. Pay up to 150 employees. Pricing includes 1 state. If you file taxes in more than one state, each additional state is currently $12/month. You may cancel at any time. This limited time offer is valid for new Intuit Payroll subscribers only and cannot be combined with other offers. Terms, conditions, pricing, features, service and support are subject to change without notice.
- Active subscription, Internet access, Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), and U.S. billing address required. Pricing varies depending on number of employees. Plus sales tax where applicable. Basic Payroll subscriptions in QuickBooks require QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks for Mac, QuickBooks Pro or QuickBooks Premier 2011 or newer or QuickBooks Enterprise version 11.0 or higher (updated to the most current maintenance release). Pricing and limitations vary per service. Click here for additional terms, conditions and limitations.